Photo Credit: Kim Klemen t-USA Today
NBA Training Camp for the 2014-15 season is underway, here are some notable news for week two:
Beal fractures left wrist
- Washington Wizards guard Bradley Beal went down with the injury in the first half of the preseason game when he was fouled going to the basket. Beal is expected to miss up to two months with this wrist injury and will have surgery in the near future. The Wizards will likely lean on the youth of Glen Rice Jr. and Otto Porter Jr. to step up during the duration of Beal’s injury.
Four Wizards suspended for bench clearing altercation
- Definitely not a good week for Washington as four players that left the bench during an altercation – between Chicago’s Joakim Noah and Washington’s Paul Pierce – have been suspended for the first game of the regular season. Noah and Pierce starting shoving each other during last Monday’s preseason game which led to Dejuan Blair, Nene Hilario, Daniel Orton, and Xavier Silas leaving the bench area. Wizards coach Randy Wittman will have to get creative for the start of the regular season.
Oklahoma City Thunder
Mitch McGary out six weeks
- Oklahama City’s rookie big man Mitch McGary fractured his foot during the team’s preseason opener against the Denver Nuggets. McGary was selected 21st overall in the 2014 NBA Draft and was expected to be the fourth big, taking minutes from Kendrick Perkins and the aging Nick Collison.
Kevin Durant fractures foot
- Kevin Durant complained of “aching” in his foot and after medical examination, the star forward was diagnosed with a “Jones” fracture. Durant will miss 6-8 weeks and it is likely the Thunder will be without the MVP for the first month of the season.
Nuggets’ Faried signs multi-year extension
- Looks like the trade rumors will be finally put to bed. The 24-year-old big man signed a four year, $50 million contract extension with the Nuggets. Denver had until Oct. 31 to negotiate a deal or Faried would have became a restricted free agent next summer. Faried averaged a career high 13.7 points per game last year as well as grabbing 8.6 rebounds per game.
Oladipo sprains MCL, joins Frye on the DL
- Orlando’s second year guard Victor Oladipo has sprained his right MCL during a scrimmage in practice last Friday just a day after his teammate Channing Frye went down with the same injury. Although the injury doesn’t seem serious, Oladipo will miss some time and depending on how his knee reacts to treatment a timetable is not yet known. The 22-year-old guard was expected to increase his role as the Magic traded starting shooting guard Arron Afflalo during the summer. For now, the Magic will rely on shooting guard Evan Fournier, who was acquired through that Afflalo trade.
Coach Frank Vogel signs multi-year extension
- After catching a lot of criticism for the way the Pacers ended their season last year, the coaching rumors will fade away, as the Pacers have agreed with Vogel to sign a multi-year contract extension. Vogel was entering the last year in his contract and it now seems he’ll be there to stay. Terms were not disclosed on the details of the contract. Keep your eye out for more details coming forward.